For some time now, I have always wanted to try lace crochet. I started it last year but I think I had bought the wrong kind of yarn (it was extremely thin and maybe for a 0.9mm hook).
So I tried it again, only this time with a thicker yarn with a 1.75mm hook, and it was not too bad! I will practise more and hopefully my stitches will become much neater.
In a recent Simply Crochet magazine, there was a pattern for a really cute sheep by TOFT. TOFT has also designed some other animal patterns.
I used some local Japanese yarn to make this – I think his fleece is soooo soft. I wanted to make him as a table decor for myself, but didn’t know that he was to be quite large!
Here is a close up of the textures. The brown tweed yarn is crocheted with the soft, boucle yarn. I love sheep and I would like to see if I can make my own with these two kinds of yarn.
It’s has finally been released!
A few months ago, I was searching for for a book called ‘Wildlife in 8ply’ by Cleckheaton. This was a copy printed in 1999 and was hard to find. I finally managed to find an old copy for £7.50. Some were selling it at £30 and above, which was a crazy price.
Well, Cleckheaton were re-publishing this but I wasn’t sure when. I was told April, but wanted to knit things for my friends. In the end, it was just released yesterday! Although I have the old copy, I will be purchasing this one too. There have been amendments to some shapings of the animals and it would be good to compare to see what they have changed.
Today, I scouted the internet for this. I have found an Australian company called Wondoflex who is selling this at a good price.
I will be visiting Singapore next week, but I’m not sure if Spotlight (an Australian craft shop) there already has this. If I order it online, it would take 5 days. Maybe I am desperate and I might just do it! I HAVE JUST ORDERED IT!!!
Things I have noticed so far which are different in this new version:
- The Kangaroo has a little baby now!
- The Tasmanian Devil has a brown snout, as well as brown underpaws.
- The Emu has blue cheeks and hair on its head.
- The Frilled Neck Dragon has colour changes; the new one has a red, brown and orange frilled neck, whereas the old one had a grey and pale yellow frilled neck. The colour has been changed to dark brown. The tail is now one colour, compared to the old one with a yellow tail and grey end.
- The Playtypus has a white tummy.
- The Bilby seems to have a more rounder, defined body. The older one looks more elongated. The tail is also bushier. I am not sure about this and will have to confirm.
- There seems to be only four birds; the Cockatoo, the Kookaburra, the Galah, and the Crimson Rosella. The old book had 7 birds, including the Rainbow Lorikeet, the Pink Cockatoo and the King Parrot. Some of the colours have also changed for the Kookaburra, which is now a lighter shade of brown. The Crimson Rosella seems to be knitted in tweed (for the red).
I will confirm this soon. The birds are not shown in a mobile anymore. The index lists just these four birds in their total of 15 animals. I doubt the other three are in it.
Cross-fingers I will at least be able to get my hands on a copy in the next 2 weeks or so!
Here’s a teddy I made for my mum from a book I received as a prize from a recent competition. I wanted to practise more fair-isle knitting. I had great frustrations with this project because I did not have my proper needles and had to use some temporary ones.
The red adds a nice touch to the other colours.
So, knitting in the round with fair-isle motifs using double-pointed needles is actually frustrating. I needed five needles, I had four and had to use a thinner one for a fifth. This meant that I had to replace the last needle with the thinner one to “hold” the stitches instead.
It actually looks horrible, there’s a lot of mistakes which I’ve hidden using embroidery. I would like to attempt this project again as there’s some things I have to figure out.
I’m making another throw for my mum.
Basically, I’ve run out of yarn and I can only get it in a month’s time to finish it off.
I was so close, it was just four squares more!